[Pages S1703-S1708]
From the Congressional Record Online through the Government Publishing Office [www.gpo.gov]
WASHINGTON'S FAREWELL ADDRESS
The ACTING PRESIDENT pro tempore. Under the previous order, the
Senator from North Carolina, Mr. Burr, is designated to read
Washington's Farewell Address.
Mr. BURR. Mr. President, I am honored today to take part in the
Senate's annual tradition of reading George Washington's farewell
address to the Nation. I am truly humbled to add my name to the list of
Senators who have been privileged to read the address.
The address, delivered by Washington in the form of an open letter to
his fellow countrymen, appeared in newspapers across our young Nation
over 200 years ago. Then, as now, we struggle sometimes with
Washington's words. We debate meaning and we debate intent, but perhaps
our discourse is what Washington himself intended. Our independence and
our freedom is, in fact, the source of our strength.
I believe that the address is President Washington's call for
Americans to look beyond divisions and to gain strength in our unity of
purpose.
Washington's Farewell Address to the people of the United States of
America:
To the people of the United States: >>>>
Sen. Burr's subsequent entry in the Senate's Farewell Address Notebook
Senator Richard Burr: “I am honored and humbled by the chance to share the words of our 1st president. This wonderful tradition continued now for over a century should serve as a reminder to all that Americans cherish our independence or lose our freedoms and our hope for peace.”
https://www.congress.gov/congressional-record/volume-151/issue-19/senate-section/article/S1703-5?hl=George+Washington+farewell+address&s=2&r=10
No comments:
Post a Comment